The G.E.R.M.A.N. Club of Virginia Tech was founded in 1887 as the Cadet Dancing Club to provide “the highest quality dances” for V.A.M.C. students. In 1892, the Club adopted the present name because its dances became routinely known as “German’s” after a popular round dance originating in Germany in the mid 1800’s. The Club provided four to five sets of dances each year through the 1970’s.
Founding members of the G.E.R.M.A.N. Club described themselves as, “young men bonded together in an effort to serve their college, dedicated to providing personal growth through brotherhood, and bound to uphold the ideals of the gentleman.”
The G.E.R.M.A.N. Club’s stated aim was “to provide worthwhile social life for the student body at the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College.”
To this date the G.E.R.M.A.N. Club continues in its fine traditions by holding formal dances for the student body in Commonwealth Ballroom in Squires Student Center. Today, the annual Midwinter’s Dance is the highlight of the social year. Members take great pride in hosting these dances for the students and faculty of the University. It is our pleasure to be your host this evening as you take part in the 124th Midwinter’s Tradition.
THE DANCE CARD
A dance card served two purposes: to list the order of the dances for the evening and to be kept as a memento of the Ball.
The dance card was a decorative book that listed the various dances with a blank line which would be filled in with the name of the person with whom the lady intended to dance. Attached somewhere to the dance card was a small pencil with which to write a name. A decorative cord was attached to the case so that the entirety could be attached to the lady’s ball gown.
Today, without the need for a dance list, the dance card has become a party favor to serve as a memory of the dance.
To learn even more about the G.E.R.M.A.N. Club of VPI, click here to visit our website.